Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Interview with Penelope


Interview with Penelope Crowe,    
Author of
100 Unfortunate Days   

Questions: R. Murry

Can you tell me a little about yourself?

I am currently a writer and artist—and probably SHOULD have been doing this all along. I have been everything from a small business owner to VP of sales for an outsourcing company, which by the way, was NOT my cup of tea. I write dark fiction/horror and also children’s books. I illustrate both.

Do you remember the first story you wrote?

Yes. J It was called The Littlest Grape—written and illustrated by six year old me…so nothing has changed. It was the tale of a grape that was so tiny that no one wanted to pick him. Then one day Tanya and Tory picked him and he was made into fine wine.

Were you inspired by someone or something?

I don’t know if inspired is the word—I just always wrote and drew. I was inspired by other people’s art, and I would try and recreate what I saw. My father set up an art area for me in the basement with paints and a table with a light.

What do you like about writing a story?

Neat question. I like winging it. I like starting with a singular idea and letting it go where it wants to go. I love to integrate situations or visuals into a story that do not seem to fit and see if they manifest into something new.

Can you tell us about your book?

100 Unfortunate Days is a book that does not fit into a regular mold. There is no story to speak of and it is written in diary form. Each ‘day’ is a completely new and different idea from the day before. It is very dark and does not have a plot. Some have categorized it as psychological horror, some as dark fiction. It is a look into madness and questions good and evil. It is a book not for everyone. A few people said they had creepy things happen to them after they read the book—especially at 3 a.m..

Are you working on something new at the moment?

Yes. I am finishing a horror anthology called The Daughter of Nostradamus, and an illustrated children’s book called Art Mouse about an art-loving girl named Mary who 
meets a mouse that has a gallery behind the walls of her house.

Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?

Only do it if you love it. It is consuming and takes up too much time for a job that you don’t care for.

Where can people go to read your work?

My work is available on Amazon—children’s books under the name Dea Lenihan and dark and creepy as Penelope Crowe.

My latest:

Latest illustrated by me:
THE OPEN PILLOW written by David Rowinski, illustrated by yours truly.

Do you have anything to add?

Thank you so much for having me Roy. Much appreciated.  


Here are my links:

12 comments:

  1. I also write reviews. I loved Penelope Crowe's 100 Unfortunate Days...I found that she had totally gotten inside of my head. Some of the views were like, "Yeah, I've thought that very same thing."

    I loved the format of it, the illustrations, the poetry etc that it contained. Although, it is dark, I would definitely recommend it to anyone. I easily gave it 5 stars!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Roy and Penelope! Love your writing and of course...the mouse. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly! XO
      Art Mouse will soon have his own book!
      XO
      Pen

      Delete
  3. Great interview! I loved 100 days. I found it to be the most unique writing and delivery of fiction I've read in years, if ever. Definitely a very worthy read for all lovers of horror or the Bizarre.

    Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooklyn :)
      Sometimes I wonder what catagory it would fall under actually...wish they had one has bizarre or weird at Amazon!
      Thanks for the kind words,
      XO
      Pen

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome! But I've been thinking about this and have a few more things to add (of course!)

      #1) I can't tell you how often I found myself emotionally rattled while reading this book! Many times I agreed with this mad woman, but a few times I just wanted to shake her as her opinions pissed me off more than once (eg., Her description of pet owners and also her little dig at reality tv (my fave!) However, that is EXACTLY what made this a riveting read!

      #2) For Mr. Murry...Great post and review; however, it's been eating at me for a few days...why did you feel it necessary to begin your review with an OUTING of the author's use of pseudonym? As authors, some choose to use pseudonyms for various reasons and rarely advertise this...otherwise, what is the point? I use my own birth name, but have (in the past) written under pseudonyms. Whichever name we've written that particular work under should be taken as the AUTHOR'S NAME and not OUTED or highlighted...I feel it is unnecessary information that goes somewhat against the purpose.

      Delete
  4. Excellent interview. Your advice for writers is spot on - you really have to love it to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Katheryn :)
    Sometimes I think you can't help but do it if you really love it.
    That quote about finding the work you love and never working a day in your life is true in my opinion. And oh the lucky ones that can make enough money to live!!
    XO
    Pen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great interview! It is so nice to get to know you better Penelope, and Roy, great job as always.

    Paul R. Hewlett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in Paul--much appreciated.
      XO
      Pen

      Delete