Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Interview of Faith Mortimer



Interview of Faith Mortimer
Author of Childhunt!

Questions by R. Murry


Can you tell me a little about yourself?

Good morning Roy. May I take this opportunity to thank you for having me as your guest author this week.

Briefly, I live about 70% of the time in an old stone-house in the foothills of the Troodos Mountains on Cyprus and the remainder of the year in the south of England where I’m from. I began writing seriously around 2000, when my husband and I took early retirement and decided to go off sailing! We are both qualified Yacht masters and before we settled in Cyprus, we explored the seas from as far north as New York down the east coast of the USA to the Caribbean and Venezuela and then back across the Atlantic into the Mediterranean where we finished our travels in Turkey – a fantastic eight years living on our sailing yacht – and the perfect place to write books!

Do you remember the first story you wrote?
I’ve always written stories ever since I can remember. The most serious was when I was about fourteen. It was a romance set in Borneo!

Were you inspired by someone or something?
I’ve always enjoyed playing around with words (and of course reading), at a young age I knew I wanted to write my own stories

What do you like about writing a story?
Oh that’s easy. It’s MY world. My people, my places, my feelings. I love drawing the characters from people/friends and then taking a bit from one person and adding another – a real mix and great fun.

Can you tell us about your book?
I’ve now written eight books. Five are mystery suspense thrillers known as the Diana Rivers series.. The titles include: The Assassins’ Village, Children of the Plantation, The Surgeon’s Blade, Camera, Action…Murder! and Childhunt.


My other book genre are romantic suspense/historical fiction/family drama/action & adventure; these are The Seeds of Time and Harvest (parts 1 & 2 of The Crossing) and my first romance set in France, ‘A Very French Affair.’ I have a short story collection entitled, The Bamboo Mirror, which is FREE on Amazon, Barnes & noble, KOBO, iTunes and Smashwords.
I’ve almost finished my next books which is a psychological thriller set in Scotland. This is a stand-alone book of many which I plan to write as a separate series. My working title is The Devil’s Brae and it is due out for release in July/August.

How did you come up with your storylines?
Almost all my stories feature either something I’ve experienced, or they are set somewhere where I’ve lived. If I like an idea I’ll go with it and set it down as soon as I can find time.

Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
Yes – never give up. It is often a lonely occupation and only you can write your story. Don’t let others put you off, or tell you what you’re doing and how you’re doing it is wrong…it is how you feel and think and more often than not you will be right. Stick to your plans!

Which authors inspire you?
MM Kaye. Tolkien. Dickens.  I can read a great novel and I then go around thinking about it for days – the author may have a style that I admire and it gives me the impetus to get down and begin to write a new book. No one writer or person inspires me though.

Where can people go to read your work?
Amazon US  http://amzn.to/oLQt8c
Amazon UK http://amzn.to/qe90Lf
The book depository (paperbacks) http://bit.ly/oCON7U
Snippets and chapters are often found on my website www.faithmortimerauthor.com
Barnes & Noble
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/faith-mortimer
Where can people find you on the internet?
Facebook author page: https://www.facebook.com/FaithMortimer.Author
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FaithMortimer
My website www.faithmortimerauthor.com

Is there anything else you would like to share with your readers?
Be yourself. Don’t judge others too harshly and always be there to give a helping hand – it could be you wanting that help some day. As I’ve already said it can be a hard slog. When you’re ready to publish make sure that the product you’re going to offer is as good as a paperback. Take time to edit and reedit, over and over. Be patient – it will take time to make any real progress. Be friendly and polite to everyone within the same market – you never know when you might need them and good manners never hurt. You can also learn lots from others as well.

Thank you so much for having me on here today!
                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment