Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Interview with Robert K. Swisher, Jr.

Interview with Robert K. Swisher, Jr.,
Author of HOPE

Interviewed by Author Roy




Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
I'll dwell on the writing side of my life.  I have 14 traditionally published novels and I have indeed 6.  Several of my novels were optioned but did not go through. I have been listed in Who's Who in the West (How I have no idea) Young Contemporary Authors (The young bit is long gone) and was made a male honoree member of American Pen Women (They call us Penguins). I also taught a class called THE REALITIES OF WRITING.  My books range from historical fiction, young adult, humor, literary, mystery, to somewhere out in right field and off center.

Do you remember the first story you wrote?
I wrote it in 5th grade. It was about a kid skipping school and going fishing.  I wrote it in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon by a pond.

Were you inspired by someone or something?
There was never anything else I wanted to be but a writer. Common sense has never been one of my strong points.

What do you like about writing a story?
Truthfully the process drives me nuts anguish, turmoil, can I finish it like it the best when I am done and start worrying if I will ever have another idea.

Can you tell us about your book?
HOPE is the latest. It is the story about a group of residents in an old folks home, who feeling abandoned by society and little more than prisoners, form an action group and with the help of a simple person learn how to fly.  I started the book in 2004 while I was working in a rest home and finished it in 2013.  It is not long, 44,000 words, but dear to me.

What genre best fits the book?
How about literary fantasy - although there is a theft - so - literary fantasy mystery with a cast of fantastic characters that cannot be held back by anything.

Are you working on something new at the moment?
HOW BRIDGE MCCOY LEARNED HOW TO SAY I LOVE YOU is off to another editor - story of a man that when he tries to tell the lady he loves that he loves her he starts choking (set in an art town in New Mexico) it is one of my right field books. Also doing the last read through on A CIRCLE AROUND FOREVER - modern fantasy exploring the question - what if Adam and Eve have been reincarnated many times (not religious though) both of these books are right at 145,000 words...and...Half way through a book titled VENT - like it says, a weird guy that goes around venting on topics (some pertinent and some weird) it is a reader participation book.

Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
Learn how to enjoy sardines, hot-dogs, and Ramon Noodles - if it was easy everyone would want to be a writer AND...DON'T LET NEGATIVE REVIEWS GET YOU DOWN.

Where can people read your work?
My earlier books - 8 still in print are on all the sites as trade and e book. My indie books are on kindle e books. I went with KDP only for many reasons (Too many to list here) Here is a link to my author page which will get you to all of my books - also some good reviews and things that make writers swell up like bullfrogs:




No comments:

Post a Comment